Friday 4 November 2022

Remote Webcams - an update

It is now November 2022 and I have been playing around with cameras.

The ESP-32-CAM that I mentioned in my original post turns out to have a major problem. The camera module overheats, and shuts off after about five minutes. I tried installing cooling, but that just makes the whole enclosure overheat. Never mind, the 640x480 image size wasn't worth pursuing, and the actual modules can be used for other things.

Image from the camera over our garage door. The lens
artefacts are a problem with many outdoor cameras.

 Network (IP) Cameras. These are the way to go. I bought three - two interior and one exterior model (all second hand). The interior models I re-engineered into weatherproof boxes with acrylic windows. One works excedingly well, and is now looking out over our front drive. The other works well, but tends to lock up frequently.

The exterior camera I mention with a warning. While it works excedingly well, the POE cable is rather too short, and so it requires a junction box  immediately behind and above the camera. Any strain on the POE/Cat5 connector renders the camera inoperable. 

As far as viewing is concerned, Video Lan (VLC Media Player) does the job admirably with few problems.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and suggestions are warmly welcomed.